Speaker > Biography
Biography of Frank Fountain, WG'73
W. Frank Fountain was appointed Senior Vice President, External Affairs and Public Policy (Auburn Hills) of the Chrysler Group on January 1, 2004. Prior to this position, he was Senior Vice President, Government Affairs since November 1998. Prior to the merger, he was Vice President, Government Affairs for Chrysler Corporation from 1995.
Fountain is responsible for maintaining and coordinating DaimlerChrysler’s interface with state and local governments across the country. He directs a staff of government affairs specialists who are responsible for analyzing, developing, and presenting to these units of government all issues that are important to DaimlerChrysler and the auto industry. He is also responsible for coordinating strategy on issues of interest to other domestic auto industry manufacturers.
Fountain has three additional areas of responsibility at DaimlerChrysler – Community Relations, National Education Programs, and the DaimlerChrysler Corporation Fund which is the company’s philanthropic organization. He serves as the President of the Fund.
Since joining Chrysler Corporation in 1973 as an Investment Analyst, Fountain has held numerous positions of increasing responsibility in Chrysler’s Corporate Controller’s Office, the Treasurer’s Office and Chrysler’s Government Affairs office in Washington, D.C.
Today, he is a member of many business and professional organizations and serves on numerous
Boards of Directors which include:
- Detroit Public Schools Board of Education (4/99-2/03)
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce – Vice Chair
- Museum of African American History
- Hudson-Webber Foundation
- Michigan Manufacturers Association - Chair
- Community Foundation of SE Michigan
- Boy Scouts – Detroit Area Council
- The Wharton School Board of Overseers
- Hampton University Board of Trustees - Chair
- Metro Detroit Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Citizens Research Council of Michigan – Past Chair
- The Detroit Investment Fund
- New Detroit, Inc. – Vice Chair
- Dennis W. Archer Foundation
- Economic Club of Detroit
- Corporate Council on Africa – Chair
- Detroit Metro Sports Commission
- Africare -Chair
- Focus Hope Advisory Board
- Metropolitan Affairs Coalition (MAC) – Past Chair
- Mackinac Center for Public Policy Advisory Board
- Joint Ctr. for Political & Econ. Studies – Vice Chair
Fountain holds a bachelor’s degree in history and political science from Hampton University and an MBA from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School. He also served as a Peace Corps volunteer in West Bengal, India. In addition, Fountain holds an honorary doctorate of public service degree from Central Michigan University.